Career Engineering Materials Engineers Materials Engineer
Materials Engineer Jobs
Careers in Materials Engineer
Hot Job Finds! (2597) Jobs Found > Materials Engineer
View Jobs Next >>
(5000) Related Jobs Found > Materials Engineer Next >>
Still can't find what you're looking for? search here:
Employment | Training | Other Qualifications
Advancement | Job Outlook | Earnings | Related Occupations
Sources of Additional Information
Nature of the Work
Materials engineers are involved in the extraction, development, processing, and testing of the materials used to create a diversity of products, from computer chips and television screens to golf clubs and snow skis. They work with metals, ceramics, plastics, semiconductors, and combinations of materials called composites to create new materials that meet certain mechanical, electrical, and chemical requirements. They also are involved in selecting materials for new applications.
There are numerous new developments within materials engineering that make it possible to manipulate and use materials in various ways. For example, materials engineers have developed the ability to create and then study materials at an atomic level using advanced processes to replicate the characteristics of materials and their components with computers.
Most metallurgical engineers work in 1 of the 3 main branches of metallurgy—extractive or chemical, physical, and process. Extractive metallurgists are concerned with removing metals from ores and refining and alloying them to produce suitable inputs for a number of industrial processes. Physical metallurgists study the nature, structure, and physical properties of metals and their alloys to find the best methods of processing basic materials into final products. Process metallurgists develop and improve metalworking processes such as casting, forging, rolling, and drawing. Most materials engineers specialize in a particular material. For example, metallurgical engineers specialize in metals, while ceramic engineers develop ceramic materials and the processes for making ceramic materials into useful products. Ceramics include all nonmetallic, inorganic materials that generally require high temperatures in their processing. Ceramic engineers work on products as diverse as glassware, automobile and aircraft engine components, fiberoptic communication lines, tile, and electric insulators.
Materials engineers held about 24,000 jobs in 2002. Because materials are building blocks for other goods, materials engineers are widely distributed among manufacturing industries. In fact, 68 percent of materials engineers worked in manufacturing industries, primarily computer and electronic products, transportation equipment, fabricated metal products, primary metal production, and machinery manufacturing. They also worked in services industries such as professional, scientific, and technical services. Most remaining materials engineers worked for Federal and State governments.
Employment of materials engineers is expected to grow more slowly than the average for all occupations through 2012. Although many of the manufacturing industries in which materials engineers are concentrated are expected to experience declines in employment, more materials engineers will be needed to develop new materials for electronics, biotechnology, and plastics products. As manufacturing firms contract for their materials engineering needs, employment growth is expected in professional, scientific, and technical services industries. In addition to those arising from employment growth, job openings will result from the need to replace materials engineers who transfer to other occupations or leave the labor force.
Median annual earnings of materials engineers were $62,590 in 2002. The middle 50 percent earned between $49,810 and $77,500. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $39,360, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $92,690.
According to a 2003 salary survey by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, bachelor’s degree candidates in materials engineering received starting offers averaging $44,680 a year.
Sources of Additional Information
For information on careers, education, accreditation, and other topics related to materials engineers, contact:
The Minerals, Metals, & Materials Society, 184 Thorn Hill Rd., Warrendale, PA 15086. Internet: http://www.tms.org
ASM International, 9639 Kinsman Rd., Materials Park, OH 44073-0002. Internet: http://www.asm-intl.org
See the introduction to the section on engineers for information on working conditions, training requirements, and other sources of additional information.
State Career Channel
Browse Featured Jobs
- Home Health Aide / HHA - Per Diem - Interim Healthcare
- Mosquito Control Technician - Mosquito Squad
- eCommerce Marketing Manager - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc Springfield, MO
- Distribution Center -- Maintenance Technician - O'Reilly Automotive, Inc. MA, NH
- *Join Us For a Career Fair* - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc Devens, MA
- Bilingual Clinician Westchester, NY - The Children's Village
- Route Driver - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Greensboro, NC
- Openings for Recreation Department - The Children's Village
- Urgent Care Provider / Nurse Practitioner - Community Health Center, Inc.
- Warehouse Worker – Material Handler - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Aurora, CO
- Local Delivery Driver – Non CDL - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Aurora, CO
- Warehouse Worker – Material Handler - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Belleville, MI
- Registered Nurse / RN - Per Diem - Interim Healthcare
- Medicaid Collector - Interim Healthcare
Browse Hot Jobs
- Fas Sales Representative - Trial
- Director Of Nursing, Registered Nurses, Lvns, Mds Nurse, Kitchen Chef & Dietitian - Downey Community Health Center
- Front Desk Part - Tahoe Summit Village
- Drivers - May Trucking Company
- Auto Sales Person - Hanover And Gettysburg Area Jobs
- Department Of Public Utilities - Department Of Public Utilities
- Assistant Or Associate Professor - Uw-stout
- Program Coordinator - Puget Sound Esd
- Building/construction Inspection - Town Of Dalton
- Automotive - El Monte Tv
- Enterprise Systems Engineer - Safeway Inc.
- Warehouse, Order Pickers, Outbound Operators - Alphabroder
- Instructor, Business Administration / Hospitality Management - Caldwell Community College
- Multimedia Sales Consultant - Belleville News-democrat