DiversityWorking ~ Career Channel News
Teaching Teachers to De-stress
Provided by: Psychology Today
In a study published in the International Journal of Stress Management, 67% of teachers surveyed described their jobs as "extremely stressful," and stressed teachers could hinder your child's education. Researchers at Optum, a health research center in Minnesota, decided to test programs aimed at reducing stress and improving employee health.
The yearlong study gave teachers at a local school three different stress-relief interventions: stress and depression management seminars; relaxation and breathing exercise workshops; and a kit containing health and stress relief information. The teachers rated their personal stress levels before and after the study and reported significantly lower levels at the end of the year than teachers at nearby schools who did not participate in the program.
Though all three interventions alleviated teacher stress, Mark Attridge, Ph.D., director of research and analysis at Optum and the study's lead researcher, notes that they worked partially because the school's administrative staff acknowledged and addressed the issue. Opening the lines of communication made stress relief an organizational problem, so teachers felt more comfortable suggesting solutions. "The teachers and staff were able to form more of a support system that boosted morale and opened up the discussion of problem-solving," Attridge says.
Browse Featured Jobs
- Development Coordinator - NewSchools Venture Fund
- Route Driver - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Greensboro, NC
- Openings for Recreation Department - The Children's Village
- Urgent Care Provider / Nurse Practitioner - Community Health Center, Inc.
- Warehouse Worker – Material Handler - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Aurora, CO
- Local Delivery Driver – Non CDL - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Aurora, CO
- Warehouse Worker – Material Handler - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Belleville, MI
- Registered Nurse / RN - Per Diem - Interim Healthcare
- Medicaid Collector - Interim Healthcare
- Distribution Center Department Supervisor and Assistant Department Supervisor - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Devens, MA
- Distribution Center – Warehouse Worker – Material Handler - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Devens, MA
- Maintenance Technician - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. NATIONWIDE
- Account Coordinator - Man Made Music
Browse Hot Jobs
- Developer - Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc.
- Certified Dietary Manager, Social Services Director, Human Resources Coordinator And More Positions - Five Star Senior Living
- Educational Audiologist - Westmoreland Intermediate Unit
- Nurses - National Healthcare Lexington
- Cooks, Bussers, Room Service, Housekeepers, Massage Therapists - Vail Marriott Mountain Resorts
- General/other: Medical/health - Gateway Physical Therapy And Wellness
- Receptionist - Ssnd Service Corporation
- Laborers - Alliance Landscape
- Driver Cdl A - S And H Transportation
- Class A Cdl Driver / Driver / Cdl Driver - Farner-bocken
- Assistant Or Associate Professor - Villanova University
- Ar/ap Specialist - Shamsa, Inc.
- Kitchen & Counter Help - El Molino Central
- Manager, Engineering & Programming - Kontek Systems, Inc