In These Times of Racial Hatred and Divide, Time to be a Superhero
Summary:The Huffington Post reported about a "Superhero" poster that has resurfaced from unclear sources, but more significant is it "serves as an important reminder of what it means to be an American."
The article reiterates the timeliness of the message the poster promotes - that of overcoming racial and religious divides: "...given the recent political discourse in this country, it turns out the poster is as pertinent and timely as ever."
Comment:In these troubling, divisive times, perhaps what is needed is a “superhero power” attitude, so to speak, in line with the message of a decades-old poster – "...And remember, boys and girls, your school -- like our country -- is made up of Americans of many different races, religions and national origins. So …if YOU hear anybody talk against a schoolmate or anyone else because of his religion, race or national origin -- don’t wait: tell him THAT KIND OF TALK IS UN-AMERICAN."
Perhaps many a human person have really forgotten how to rise above the dictates of their personal biases and prejudices; many an individual choose to go by the Old Testament way of fighting tooth for a tooth, an eye for an eye.
This is the reason the cycle of hatred and injustices that manifest into all forms of discriminatory behaviors, racial as well as religious killings, and other hurtful acts (marginalizing people of color, people with disability, LGBTs, women, veterans) continue to this day.
Each day, news are replete with disheartening, sickening stories of killings and discrimination based on one's skin color, or religious affiliation, or even one's physical disability. News say that presidential aspirant Donald Trump ridiculed a New York Times reporter with a disability. And who can overlook the almost daily senseless violence committed against unarmed black people? Then just because the world is racked with evil, terror acts of extremists belonging to the dreaded ISIS – peace-loving Muslims are also feared, mocked and marginalized.
Just as the Huffington Post says in its article: “There was clearly much more work to do in the 1950s to address racial and religious discrimination -- but more than 60 years later, you'd think Superman's Cold War-era message would be common sense by now.”
Selfishness is part of human nature; imperfection is part of the human drama – that is why the home is foremost the best place to learn the good values of selflessness, tolerance and understanding.
Parents and family elders have a great responsibility to plant the seeds of humanity in their children – to rise above and beyond their personal prejudices and biases, if any – like a “Superhero” – and teach, instill in their young lasting good values that will help them grow to be peaceful, tolerant, understanding individuals; thus promote peace and goodwill to an imperfect, fast-decaying world.
Time now indeed to rekindle and relive the great American spirit -- in each American home, in each American individual – to spread even tiny ripples of positivity in order to end hatred and injustice.
Care to share your thoughts?
Browse Featured Jobs
- Development Coordinator - NewSchools Venture Fund
- Route Driver - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Greensboro, NC
- Openings for Recreation Department - The Children's Village
- Urgent Care Provider / Nurse Practitioner - Community Health Center, Inc.
- Warehouse Worker – Material Handler - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Aurora, CO
- Local Delivery Driver – Non CDL - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Aurora, CO
- Warehouse Worker – Material Handler - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Belleville, MI
- Registered Nurse / RN - Per Diem - Interim Healthcare
- Medicaid Collector - Interim Healthcare
- Distribution Center Department Supervisor and Assistant Department Supervisor - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Devens, MA
- Distribution Center – Warehouse Worker – Material Handler - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Devens, MA
- Maintenance Technician - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. NATIONWIDE
- Account Coordinator - Man Made Music
Browse Hot Jobs
- Gerente De Mercadeo Digital Y De Medios - Diageo North America
- Multiple Positions - Scientific Protein Laboratories
- Executive Assistant To The Ceo - Sacramento Area Council Of Governments
- Accounting Clerk / Department Clerk I / Maintenance Technician / Nutrition Team Lead / Plc Controls Technician / Power & Utilities Technician / Te - Leprino
- Student Assistance Specialist - Puget Sound Esd
- Lube Technician - Walser Automotive Group
- Executive Director - Peace Community Center
- Engineers And Gas Operations Manager - Mountaineer Gas Company
- Seasonal Natural Resources Technician - Three Rivers Park District
- Health & Safety Coordinator - Stemilt Growers Inc
- Data Entry - Keystone Health
- Tech Support / Call Center - Startek
- Engineering - San Diego Area Jobs
- House Keeping, Driver, Supervisor - Sweeping Change