Wisconsin Latinos Protest Against 2 Bills They See as Anti-Immigrant
By: DiversityWorking Press
Date Posted: February 21, 2016
News Source: Vox
On Thursday, Wisconsin Latinos did not report to work, but gathered at the state capitol to protest against 2 bills which they deem as being anti-immigrant.
"Día sin Latinos e inmigrantes," or "Day without Latinos and immigrants," took place in Madison, Wisconsin, with 14,000 people joining the rally.
Businesses with Latino workers closed on that day in solidarity with their Latino workforce. Affected by the walkout were Wisconsin's dairy fams wherein more than 40% of its hired labor are immigrants.
The bills in question include one that would allow police officers to ask arrested or detained people their immigration status (currently at the state Senate), and one that would ban local governments from giving undocumented residents municipal IDs, (on Gov. Scott Walker's desk), according to VOX.
It also said Latinos comprise the state's largest minority group, about 6% of the state's population, citing the 2014 census report.
According to studies, Latino immigrants in the US, although have been successful, still face barriers especially in employment. The Latinos in Wisconsin are said to have long felt being marginalized.
What will happen to them once the bills are passed, if and when, remains to be seen, but it is hoped policymakers will truly look at the situation of their state's immigrants, who have been contributing a lot to its economy.
Read the full article at Vox
Archives - Hispanic
Browse Featured Jobs
- Home Health Aide / HHA - Per Diem - Interim Healthcare
- Mosquito Control Technician - Mosquito Squad
- eCommerce Marketing Manager - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc Springfield, MO
- Distribution Center -- Maintenance Technician - O'Reilly Automotive, Inc. MA, NH
- *Join Us For a Career Fair* - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc Devens, MA
- Bilingual Clinician Westchester, NY - The Children's Village
- Route Driver - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Greensboro, NC
- Openings for Recreation Department - The Children's Village
- Urgent Care Provider / Nurse Practitioner - Community Health Center, Inc.
- Warehouse Worker – Material Handler - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Aurora, CO
- Local Delivery Driver – Non CDL - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Aurora, CO
- Warehouse Worker – Material Handler - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Belleville, MI
- Registered Nurse / RN - Per Diem - Interim Healthcare
- Medicaid Collector - Interim Healthcare
Browse Hot Jobs
- Route Driver - Culligan Water
- Sr Engineer, Product Development - Integra Lifesciences
- Diagnostic Ultrasound, Tenure - Bellevue College
- Maintenance, Site Construction, Irrigation, Landscaping - Aspen Parks & Recreation
- Director Of Digital Engagement - National Wildlife Federation
- Production Associate - Goodwill Industries
- Outpatient Therapist - Piatt County Mental Health
- Accountant - Ac&t
- Mechanic - Yellow Checker Star Transportation
- Assistant Program Director - The Center For Family Services
- High School Reading Teacher Long - Catapult Learning
- Registered Nurse - Hemet Home Health Care
- Automotive Service Receptionist / Cashier - Wayne Mazda
- Tree Climbers - J Davis Tree Service