It's National Disability Employment Awareness Month!
By: DiversityWorking Press
Date Posted: October 09, 2015
News Source: Office Holidays
October is National Disability Awareness Month, an occasion that began in 1945, by virtue of Public Law 176 enacted by Congress,as a one-week celebration in honor of the "physically handicapped."
In 1962, to recognize the employment needs of all Americans with disabilities, the word "physically" was removed from the week's name. Then in 1988, the celebration was expanded to a one-month long event by Congress, and its name to "National Disability Employment Awareness Month."
Here is an excerpt from President Obama's statement proclaiming October as the National Disability Awareness Month: "America is at its strongest when we harness the talents and celebrate the distinct gifts of all our people. This October, as we observe the 70th anniversary of National Disability Employment Awareness Month, let us pay tribute to all who fought for better laws, demanded better treatment, and overcame ignorance and indifference to make our Nation more perfect. In their honor, and for the betterment of generations of Americans to come, let us continue the work of removing obstacles to employment so every American has the chance to develop their skills and make their unique mark on the world we share." - <a href="https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2015/10/01/presidential-proclamation-national-disability-employment-awareness-month">click here</a>
Around the country, states have likewise issued their individual proclamation of the event, and have prepared various activities for the month-long celebration.
In line with this, the employment report recently released revealed a not so encouraging picture for people with disabilities. GlobeNewswire reports: After 11 months of job growth for Americans with disabilities, employment declines for the population, according to today's National Trends in Disability Employment – Monthly Update (nTIDE), issued by Kessler Foundation and University of New Hampshire's Institute on Disability (UNH-IOD). The news comes at the start of National Disabilities Employment Awareness Month, showing the need for more concerted efforts that support job opportunities and a diverse workforce.- <a href="http://globenewswire.com/news-release/2015/10/02/773140/10151519/en/nTIDE-Jobs-Report-Employment-for-Americans-with-Disabilities-Slips-for-the-First-Time-in-2015.html">click here</a>
Indeed, more work still needs to be done in order to ensure all qualified people with disabilities can find gainful employment and opportunity to carve their own niche and contribute to the economic growth of their communities and the whole country in general.
DiversityWorking.com, the largest diversity job board online, is a career opportunity resource and job search engine for the cultural diversity marketplace. Through DiversityWorking.com, you can post veteran jobs for your diversity and equal employment opportunity requirements.Visit <a href="http://www.diversityworking.com" target="_blank">DiversityWorking</a> now.
Read the full article at Office Holidays
Archives - Person with Disability
Browse Featured Jobs
- Home Health Aide / HHA - Per Diem - Interim Healthcare
- Mosquito Control Technician - Mosquito Squad
- eCommerce Marketing Manager - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc Springfield, MO
- Distribution Center -- Maintenance Technician - O'Reilly Automotive, Inc. MA, NH
- *Join Us For a Career Fair* - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc Devens, MA
- Bilingual Clinician Westchester, NY - The Children's Village
- Route Driver - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Greensboro, NC
- Openings for Recreation Department - The Children's Village
- Urgent Care Provider / Nurse Practitioner - Community Health Center, Inc.
- Warehouse Worker – Material Handler - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Aurora, CO
- Local Delivery Driver – Non CDL - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Aurora, CO
- Warehouse Worker – Material Handler - O’Reilly Automotive, Inc. Belleville, MI
- Registered Nurse / RN - Per Diem - Interim Healthcare
- Medicaid Collector - Interim Healthcare
Browse Hot Jobs
- Route Driver - Culligan Water
- Bank Branch Banking - Lowell Five Bank
- Guest Services Representative, Maintenance Tech Ii, Housekeepers - Christie Lodge
- Hvac Journeyman - Fort Worth Isd
- Summer Career Fair - The Ritz-carlton Club
- Customer Service - Freshpoint Charlotte
- Primary Care Physician - Va Medical Center
- Compliance Specialist - Hercon Pharmaceuticals Llc
- Field Service Technician - Engage Technologies Corporation
- Dental Assistant - Keystone Dental Care
- Hvac Dispatcher - A&a Air Conditioning
- Louisville Volunteer And Outreach Coordinator - Radio Eye
- Equipment Operator I - Summit County
- Product Engineer, Staff - Lam Research Corp