The City of Aspen is hiring one Water Distribution Operator I, II, III, or IV (ability to obtain next level certification within two testing cycles) (See special qualifications below).
Water Distribution Operator I: Hiring Range: $18.59 - $21.10 ?Salary Range: $18.59 - $25.83
Water Distribution Operator II: Hiring Range: $20.07 - $22.79 ?Salary Range: $20.07 - $27.90
Water Distribution Operator III: Hiring Range: $22.13 - $25.12 ?Salary Range: $22.13 - $30.76
Water Distribution Operator IV: Hiring Range: $26.11 - $29.64 ?Salary Range: $26.11 - $36.29?
Job Title: ?Water Distribution Operator I, II, III, or IV
Department: Utilities and Environmental Initiatives?
Position Summary: Assists with the operation and maintenance functions of the city’s water distribution system.
Supervision Exercised and Received: ?Positions work under the general supervision of the Water Distribution Supervisor.?
Essential Job Functions: ?
Operations and Maintenance
• Assists with installations, operates and maintains water mains, water valves, fire hydrants, water services, and other water system appurtenances in coordination with the Water Distribution Supervisor. Performs assigned line locates and related activities. Operates backhoes, end loaders, mini crane, and skid steer as required.
• Assists with operations and maintenance activities on water distribution systems, pump stations, hydroelectric plants and water treatment plants. ?Prepares scaled field drawings on water mains, service lines, and water valve locations. Updates computer maintenance reports on work activities. ?
• Prepares routine reports on work activities. Assists in water department projects, overflow work, and other specifically assigned projects.
• Performs routine maintenance work related to water department equipment, vehicles, and facilities. ?Maintains water department property in a neat orderly manner.
• Assists with the response to water main failure, planned outages, and general water distribution projects. May assist with the observation of newly constructed water service lines and water main line installations.?
• Operator duties increase with level of experience, and certification. ?The Distribution Operators II, III may act as a lead worker when appointed, providing direction to other distribution operators and/or contractors as appropriate according to current certification.
Core Competencies Displays the following key competencies in the overall job performance to include knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Knowledge of proper operating procedures for heavy and large equipment, such as backhoes, endloaders, and skid steers. ?
• Knowledge of machines, heavy equipment, safety regulations, and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance; be able to perform satisfactory maintenance and repairs as necessary.
• Knowledge of relevant policies, procedures, PPE and strategies to practice and promote safe work practices included but not limited to: equipment operation, activities in the Right of Way (R.O.W.), construction work and site risks, trenching/backfill operations and confined spaces.?
• Ability to conduct tests and inspections of products, services or processes to evaluate quality or performance.?
• Ability to work effectively as part of a team to achieve established outcomes.
• Ability to effectively interact and communicate with individuals and/or groups of people
• Ability to recognize problems and effectively work independently or with others to reach a viable solution.
• Ability to work independently and complete a project without close supervision or detailed instruction. ?
Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Requirements for Distribution Operator I:
Education: High School diploma or GED equivalent.
Experience: One (1) year of experience in water, construction, or related field.?
Technical Knowledge: Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Email.
Licenses & Certifications: Must possess a valid Colorado driver’s license or be able to obtain one within 30 days of start date. Completion of the OCPO Class I Certification in Water Distribution Operations within the first two testing cycles, the ability to obtain certificate of completion for all chemically related hazard training, confined space entry and trenching and shoring outlined by CIRSA/OSHA, and the ability to obtain CIRSA traffic flagging certification are all required within 12 months of employment.
• OCPO Distribution I license or greater
• Familiarity with utility line locating equipment
• Familiarity with maps, schematics, and engineered drawing
• AWWA Standards
• General utility infrastructure construction practices
• Experience in operating heavy equipment
• Demonstrated Mechanical aptitude?
NOTE: ?This position requires a Criminal Background Check and Physical upon hire. ?Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check and physical.?
NOTE: Any combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required abilities, knowledge and skills as determined by the City of Aspen may be substituted for the requirements above.
Position Type and Work Hours: Regular full time, 40-hour work week, Monday through Friday, hours may vary with workload.?
Evenings/Weekends: Evenings and/or weekend work will be required in addition to or instead of normal hours. ?
Special Events: May be requested to work additional hours, in support of Utilities Department.
On-Call: Required to perform on-call duty and must be immediately available for 24-hour alarm response on a rotating schedule. Such activities include but are not limited to water main repair, service line freeze-up, and snow removal.
Work Environment: ?
• Indoors: Office environment and Utility Maintenance Building
• Outdoors/Off-Site: Performs outdoor work including site visits to locations including R.O.W and construction sites, as well as attending meetings and conferences. May be required to perform work duties in all weather conditions.?
Essential Physical Requirements:?
• Lifting & Carrying: Up to 50 lbs. of equipment or materials unassisted ?
• Physical: Reaching, standing, sitting, typing, talking, crouching, kneeling, seeing, driving, and hearing. ? Position may require snow removal in hydrant areas, parking lots, roofs and vehicles, including general safety inspection of snow prone areas. Exposure to cold, heat, exhaust, fumes, etc. ?
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. ?Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. ? ?
This job description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
See the full job detail from the original posting below.
Login with Facebook